Capel Garmon Burial Chamber
OS Grid Ref:-SH 818543
The Capel Garmon Burial Chamber, near Betws-y-Coed, was erected in the Neolithic Age 2,500-1,900 B.C.for the communal burial of the dead. The monument is a tomb of the Cotswold-Severn type, unusual in North Wales and similar in design to the long cairns of south-east Wales.
The monument is situated on a private farm, just south of the village on the eastern side of the upper Conwy Valley and commands superb views of Snowdonia.
The Capel Garmon monument consists of two chambers which at one time were covered by a large oblong stone cairn. Excavations have revealed a curved passage on the south side of the cairn which led to a rectangular area opening into two chambers. The front has a false portal, with two stones, which appears to be a door, but leads nowhere.
The monument was excavated in 1853 and 1924 when the site was restored. Fragments of one Neolithic and two Beaker pots were discovered. A Celtic iron firedog, dating to the Iron Age, was discovered near the site in 1852. During the 19th Century it was used as a stable. Although only one capstone remains, the monument is well preserved. The site is maintained by CADW.
View from inside the monument
Capel Garmon lies around one and a half miles along the small road leading northwest at Rhydllanfair from the main road A5 from Betws Y Coed to Pentrefoelas. Upon reaching a gate next to a campsite entrance, go through the gate and proceed uphill. Look for a footpath sign and stile on the left just before the farm buildings. Follow the footpath signs for about ¼ mile after passing through a metal gate the chamber comes into view.