OS Grid Ref:- SH 5837
The curious village of Portmeirion has Italianesque architecture, interesting follies and statues. It has been used as the setting for many television programmes, including the surrealist series, 'The Prisoner'.
Designed Sir Clough William-Ellis to demonstrate how a naturally beautiful site could be developed without ruining it. Construction of the village began in 1925, it was completed in 1975.
Made up of about fifty buildings, most of which are used as hotel or self catering accomodation, Portmeirion is now owned by a charitable trust. The Portmeirion Pottery was established by Susan William-Ellis in 1960.
70 acres of of sub tropical woodland gardens surround the village, which contain many exotic species.