Penmon Point and the Trwyn Du Lighthouse
OS grid ref:- SH623802
Penmon Point, also known as Black Point, or Trwyn-du in Welsh, is situated on the south east corner of Anglesey and overlooks the Menai Strait, the Irish Sea and Puffin Island. The name derives from Welsh: pen (which can mean "head", "end" or "promontory") and Môn, which is the Welsh name for Anglesey.
Panoramic views across the Menai Strait include stretch across the Great Orme to the often cloud capped mountains of Snowdonia. The sound between Puffin Island and Penmon Point is treacherous. A ship named the Rothesay Castle, which was on a day trip from Liverpool, was wrecked in the sound in 1831. The Trywn Ddu Lighthouse and a lifeboat station were erected soon after the incident.
There is also woodland, a pond and a cafe at Penmon Point
Trwyn Du Lighthouse
The TrwynDu Lighthouse at Penmon Point measures 29 metres in height and was designed by James Walker and built in 1835-1838. The lighthouse was originally manned by two keepers, however these were withdrawn in 1922 when the lighthouse was converted to unwatched acetylene operation.
The Lighthouse is situated on a low-lying rock surrounded by shingle beaches. The circular stone tower is distinguished by three black bands on a white background. It has a stepped base designed to discourage the huge upsurge of waves that had afflicted earlier lighthouses on the site and reduce the force of the water at the bottom of the tower. The tower has a crenellated stone parapet, in preference to iron railings on the gallery, and narrows in diameter above the half-way point. These are a features used by Walker in his other lighthouse designs.