OS grid ref:- SH7855
Surrounded by coniferous woodland, the lake, which covers 30 acres, has a number of small islets which provide a breeding ground for black headed gulls.
The 20 feet dam was constructed in 1914. A memorial located at the northern end of the lake commemorates the fact that Lord Ancaster permitted the building of the dam and the use of the lake as a water supply. Before it became a reservoir, the site of the lake was a marshy hollow containing two small lakes.
There are various paths leading up to Llyn Elsi, the most direct is the one which up from behind St. Mary's church in Betws-y-Coed.
Image copyright M Cleary
A walk to Llyn Elsi from Betws-y-Coed
Distance:- around 4 miles
*Commencing from behind St. Mary's Church in Betws-y-Coed, turn up by the post office and follow the the forestry road waymarked Llyn Elsi. Ascend the path until reaching a bench and a standing stone on the right beside a stream, at this point turn right and follow the path through the woods.
* Cross over a slab bridge and climb up the footpath to emerge beside the ruins of Gartheryr. Continue beside the wall on the right, until arriving at a forestry road; cross the road, and at the next road go straight across again.
*The path then continues to the Ancaster Memorial above Llyn Elsi. Turn left from the Memorial along a path that leads to the lake. After circumnavigating the lake, retrace your steps to return to Betws-y-Coed